Thursday, January 5, 2012

You is.....

I finally got around to watching The Help. It was fascinating. I. love. it.

I love seeing the point of view of the help.

I was intrigued by how much Aibileen tried to invest in the little girl she cared for.
Of course, my favorite quote was "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

Imagine if we invested in our girls in this way. Even as little girls, they are influenced and encouraged to be older than they are. From the way clothes are made for them to shows and movies they watch, they are made to think of themselves as older girls do.

I ran across an article a bit ago. While watching The Help, I thought back to it. You can find it here.
I completely agree with this article. It is easy to get lost in the pursuit of being 'hot' and lose our 'prettiness'. Pretty is so much more valuable than hot will ever be.
Let's teach our girls to be pretty... that they are kind, smart and important.






No comments:

Post a Comment