Monday, February 6, 2012

a season...

In our family, we are right in the midst of a season of celebrating weddings and marriage. 


At the end of January, the husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. You can read more about that in this post. 
This past weekend, our family hosted a couple's shower for my brother, Blake, and his soon-to-be wife, Lauren. I'll do a post on their shower later this week. It was loads of fun to catch up with everyone and celebrate their upcoming wedding. 
In June, both my grandparents and grandparents-in-law will celebrate 50 years of marriage. yep. FIFTY! What wonderful examples of marriage these two couples have laid out for their children, grandchildren and, now, great-grandchildren to follow. 


With all of this lovely activity, I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately. Not just weddings, but marriage. Little girls spend great amounts of their childhood dreaming about their wedding day. My little lady already makes her brother play 'wedding' with her. 
More important than the wedding is the marriage that follows that particular day. So much thought and planning goes into the wedding day, but it seems that there is a serious lack of planning a marriage. What happens after the big day is much more important than the actual day. Granted, you can't plan out how your marriage and life with go. You can plan on how you will work things out and be a team. 


Getting married is a big deal. Staying married seems to be much less of a big deal. Don't misunderstand me. There are ALWAYS two sides to every story. Both individuals have to work on a marriage and that doesn't always happen. Each instance is always unique. 


I ran across this interesting article about a marriage. It is in no way faith-based; however, the wife's approach to saving their marriage was very interesting. 


I consistently pray about my marriage- thankful for it, for it to be strengthened even more, and for it to be an example for my children and grandchildren, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment